Obstructive sleep apnea has known associations with several comorbidities:
- cardiovascular disease (acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, arrhythmias, hypertension)
- cerebrovascular disease
- metabolic syndrome
- gastro-esophageal reflux disease
In bariatric surgery, 7 out of every 10
patients were found to have OSA.
Predispose to Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Certain patient profiles (male, above 50 years old, neck circumference greater than 40 cm)
- endocrine disorders (Cushing's disease, hypothyroidism)
- connective tissue disorders (Marfan's syndrome)
- lifestyle habits (alcohol, smoking)
- anatomical abnormalities
Altered upper airway anatomy (craniofacial abnormalities, macroglossia, retrognathia) may also reduce lumen diameter, increasing the propensity for these episodic airway obstruction.